May 05, 2005

One Headlight

...you know that song, by the Wallflowers. It's a great song, isn't it? It's lyrical depth is amazing. To this date, I have not come across any song since that (1996) which tops or meets its lyrical profundity. The second verse is the height of this intensity. Anyway, so now I'm going to commit the blog faux pas of recopying song lyrics. But seriously, take a moment to ponder these words...
(You know...I really shoud be studying for my Calculus final now, oh well...)
"She said it's cold
It feels like Independence Day
And I can't break away from this parade
But there's got to be an opening
Somewhere here in front of me
Through this maze of ugliness and greed
I seen the sign up ahead
At the county line bridge
Saying all there's good and nothingness is dead
Run until she's out of breath
She ran until there's nothing left
She hit the end, it's just her window ledge"
-- Jakob Dylan
There's a lot of debate online of what the song is actually about; but it's definitely deserving of the two Grammys it received. It's one of those songs that has ended up running in my CD player on "single repeat" mode. And while it's lyrically deep and intense, musically it's upbeat and uplifting; happy sounding.

¡FelĂ­z Cinco de Mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment